All my students work through a piano course book, but I like them to learn something on the side of their own choice. So what do some of the kids ask to learn?
- Sasha, 6 – Right Here Waiting (Richard Marx)
- Anna, 7 – Firework (Katy Perry)
- Jess, 8 – Edelweiss (Sound of Music)
- Rica, 10 – Count on Me (Bruno Mars), Brave (Sara Bareilles)
- Btari, 13 – Let It Go, from Frozen (Demi Lovato)
- Rayhan, 14 – When I was Your Man (Bruno Mars)
- Joel, 16 – Hall of Fame (The Script)
They sing the lyrics and dive for those chords! And when they ask how to fill in, I say: “Remember those broken chords and arpeggios you did? Let’s start with something like that: here’s the first inversion, the second…”
It’s good to see them at it. I mean, isn’t that why we learn? To play the music we love?